Engines and trains featured in the 2018 edition include:
Southern Pacific #9 is on a freight near Keeler running southbound on July 19, 1959. It is a narrow gauge ten-wheeler built for the Nevada-California-Oregon Railroad as its #9. It was transferred to the Southern Pacific in 1928; it retained its number. It served the Owens Valley line regularly until 1954, when a GE Diesel took over. However #9 was retained as a back-up locomotive, operating when the Diesel was being serviced. After the line was abandoned, #9 was put on display at Laws, California, where it remains today.
You can almost smell the fresh paint as they go by. Southern Pacific 8019 and three others just like it are on a freight at Colton, California in November 1987. All four units are General Electric B39-8’s. Southern Pacific ordered forty B39-8s, and all of them, were delivered by November 1987.
Southern Pacific 336 (Two EMD F3A’s, one on either end with an F7B in between them) all decked out in the SP’s “Black Widow” paint scheme used on freight units, sits with a freight at Texarkana, Texas, as another freight is on the move on a nearby track on October 12, 1955.
Resplendent in its “Daylight” colors, two-year-old Southern Pacific 6005, an American Locomotive Company Model PA, in concert with two others, is leading Train #10, the “Shasta Daylight” as it accelerates out of Martinez, California on the approach to the large bridge there April 22, 1950.
Southern Pacific 6393, an EMD F7A-B-B-A in its “Black Widow” paint scheme is at the Los Angeles, California engine terminal, in the company of at least four more “Black Widow” locomotive consists on May 21, 1954. These engines are all in the SP freight locomotive colors, and most are only a year or two old. They would sit outside until they were called, no roundhouse, no intensive preparations for service. On the road they needed no fuel or water stops which consumed a great deal of labor and escalated costs. These were some of the cost savings afforded by Diesel power which was not available with steam operations.
Southern Pacific 2465, a Class P-8 Pacific (4-6-2) is on a southbound local freight at Millbrae, California on June 1, 1953. There were fifteen locomotives in the P-8 Class, all built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1921; two survive today: 2467 is on display at Oakland, California, and 2472 is at San Mateo.
Southern Pacific 4211 is on the point of southbound freight First #553 at Likely, California on July 29, 1955. Cab ahead 4250 is cut into the train as a swing helper and 3804, also a helper, is cut in ahead of the caboose. The reason for three articulated locomotives is that the grade increases to a stiff 1.6% grade for sixteen miles from Likely up to Sage Hen. This train is on SP’s Modoc Line, which runs from Fernley, Nevada on the south to Klamath Falls, Oregon on the north. Long considered the “Back Door to Oregon,” this line has been removed from service. The last train operated there on June 30, 1997.
It is almost sunset on August 7, 1989, and here come the Oil Cans. Southern Pacific 7403, a freshly repainted SD45, leads four SD40T-2 Tunnel Motors southbound several miles south of Monolith, California. There are also five helpers on the rear; their dynamic brakes are kicking in to control the descent into Mojave. The Cans were loaded with 1.5 million gallons of Kern River Crude Oil per train. One train every day kept the refinery at Wilmington, California going strong. Five or six units on the point and the same cut in toward the rear of the train were required. The power struggled up the Tehachapi‘s 2% grade.
Southern Pacific 6024, one of two American Locomotive Company PA’s is the power for Train #28, the eastbound “Overland Limited”, seen here waiting for final departure preparations to be completed at Oakland Pier on September 3, 1953. The “Overland”, which originated out of Third and Townsend Streets, San Francisco, California is scheduled to leave Oakland Pier at 11:30AM, with a final destination of Chicago, Illinois. Photograph by Fred Scott
Southern Pacific 4451, a Class GS-4 Northern (4-8-4) has eleven car Commuter Train #142 leaving Third and Townsend Streets, San Francisco at 5:32 pm, stopping only at Burlingame, Hayward Park and Hillsdale, California with a final destination at San Jose, a distance of 47 miles.
Southern Pacific 1278, a freshly painted Class S-12 (0-6-0) switcher, is working the Oakland, California Pier, shuffling coaches in the summer of 1941. Southern Pacific had a total of 464 of these small engines in service; some were converted to tank engines for service such as shop and roundhouse goats.
Southern Pacific 3930 was one of two locomotives purchased from the Verde Tunnel and Smelter Railroad in 1943. Both 3930 and 3931 were Class MM-3 (2-6-6-2) articulated engines. 3930 is seen here on a passenger special at Beaumont, California on April 16, 1950, but in a little more than three years, it would be set aside, overwhelmed by hordes of new Diesels.